Taking Care of Me
byon 01-28-2008 at 03:14 PM (3157 Views)
I am pleased with myself today. I did a better job of taking care of me than I sometimes do.
Nothing special. Just being a little less driven, I guess.
I've been overbooked with work for a while now. Good long while, actually. And the last couple of weeks, I've really been feeling the stress.
Now, I've been working for myself for a long time...Eight years, matter of fact. So I should have some idea of how to manage it by now. You'd think, at least. But when I get on a bender, sometimes I let what I already know slip, y'kno?
Some stuff I've done today:
Fact is, when I don't pay attention to my own needs for breaks, time off, distractions and rest, I pay. My work isn't a good, my mood isn't as good, and I'm not as happy. And I end up taking shortcuts-many of which involve questionable (or not-so-questionable-not-so-good) eating practices, among other things.
- Working at my own pace, regardless of what is on my to-do list.
- Avoiding getting sucked into at least one technical problem that wasn't mine to fix. (That can be kind of hard for me sometimes with my clients; I tend to do if I can, rather than skipping it when I'm not getting paid to do it.)
- Emotionally disengaging from anxious clients.
- Working on (mostly) one thing at a time, giving it my full attention.
- Doing my best and then letting it go.
- Taking an outside coffee break this afternoon, as the weather was nice. This really helps clear my head and relax me. It's a great stress-buster! I'm looking forward to spring when I can enjoy my flowers on the front porch, too.
- Kitty petting breaks!
- A more relaxed attitude - I think this is key.
Here's to self-care!
Total Trackbacks 0